My sister and I started making chex mix back when we lived together during college. We added our favorite snacks rather than just regular pretzels and peanuts. Since then, it has become my go-to snack recipe for long weekends.
Opening weekend for hunting season made for the perfect time to make a big batch. I sent some along with my husband for him and his boys and kept the rest for my girlfriends who came over for potluck appetizers and wine.
What ingredients do you love to see in your snack mix?
- 1 box Crispix
- 2 bags Snyder's cheddar cheese pretzels
- 1 bag rye crisps
- 1 bag of chili cheese Fritos
- 1 cup deluxe mixed nuts
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion salt
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees
- Mix Crispix, nuts and rye crisps into a large bowl.
- Add butter, Worcestershire, lemon juice, garlic salt and onion salt into a microwaveable bowl and heat on high for increments of 30 seconds until melted.
- Pour over snack mixture and stir together.
- Add pretzels and Fritos and stir one more time.
- Scoop onto baking pans or Pyrex dishes, sprinkle more garlic and onion salt over the mixture and bake for 45 minutes stirring half way through.
- When preparing the chex mix, I like to use a large Tupperware bowl with a lid, so that I can shake the snack mix and butter mixture together. That way everything gets evenly coated.