We have had one long winter here in Wisconsin and parts of the state are still seeing snow in April! Being cooped up in the house for too long can make a person feel wired and sluggish all at the same time. Last night, after getting home from a long day at work, I felt tired and it was a bit cool out at 50 degrees and cloudy. I had a million excuses lined up to why not to go outside, but decided to just go for it. I’m SO glad I did and here’s why…
- Combine Exercise & Quality Time – I’m all about multi-tasking. After being away from my daughter all day, I just want to hang out with her, so I often struggle with the choice to go workout instead. With the weather getting nicer, I took out the stroller and we went for a jog around the neighborhood. She loves seeing other people, especially those who are walking their dogs! Jogging with Evelyn is the perfect combination of staying healthy and also getting to spend time with her.
- Be Happier – After our jog, we played in the yard. We played Ring-Around-the-Rosie circling a growing plant, slid down the slide, swung on swings, and ran around. We were being silly and laughing and we all know what laughing does! Laughter releases endorphins, our body’s feel-good chemicals! It felt so good to be silly and giggle with my little girl.
- Learn New Things – Evelyn is almost two. Her brain is incredibly active right now and she’s learning so fast. She is my little copy-cat. I pointed to a plant that had been nibbled by a creature and said, “the bunnies must have eaten it”. She ran with that, and just kept pointing at the plants, looking at me and saying “bunnies”, “bunnies”. She is such a sponge. It’s hilarious to hear what comes out of her mouth!
- Relieve Stress – After jogging, playing and exploring we both laid back on the grass and watched the “birdies” fly through the sky. The stress just melted away in that moment. Resting in the grass, listening to the birds, and watching the sunset between the broken clouds made for a unique relaxing moment shared between the two of us.
- Sleep Better – The combination of running around, breathing in fresh air and just being silly wiped us out. We went inside and enjoyed a nice long bath, put jammies on and fell asleep.
What are you waiting for? Get outside! 😉
What is your favorite thing to do outside with your little one?